Torphins in the war years
The picture shows Torphins shortly after the end of WW2.
A view of the station from the road bridge during the war ( note Nissen huts in the station yard where troops were billeted
The shooting range
The Range was built in 1902. It was used during the Second World War by the Home Guard, and after the war by the Army Cadet Force. There was an additional wooden hut built just behind specially for the AFC as a meeting and social hut. They even had a snooker table.
The original Shooting Range and ground was bought from the MOD in 1965 by Doug Bonner when he set up on his own as a plasterer and he used it as his yard. His son Mike carried on the business until he retired.
Thanks to Mike Bonner for the photos and story