With the growth of Torphins, the need for its own established church became acute, and in 1876 a church was erected to on the northern edge of the village, on land gifted by Col. Innes of Learney. This effectively splitting the parish of Kincardine O’Neil in two, by forming what is called a quoad sacra parish. This is a parish of the Church of Scotland which has ecclesiastical functions but does not represent a civil parish, in local government terms. Colonel Innes also facilitated the funding of the construction of the church.
The church has been described as having a construction of coarse granite and slate with polygonal apse at the entrance and tower to one side.
An imaginative design, providing much interest, with its soaring Burgundian roofline, extenuated gables and scissors roof truss, having the influence of Alexander Ellis, the renowned Victorian architect from Aberdeen. The first minister, the Reverend James Anderson, was ordained on 4th May 1876.
In November 1941, a meeting of the Free Church congregation was called in Torphins to discuss a union with the North Church and this was unanimously agreed and the union followed. In 2002, there was a further union between the parish churches of Torphins, Kincardine O’Neil and Lumphanan, now collectively known as Mid-Deeside Church and which holds its services in the modernised and extended North Church of Torphins.